Friday, December 5, 2008

JYC Dec 5th

December 5th How Many Days to Go
Interesting topic, reflect on how you count down the days to Christmas. We have done a couple of methods since Sarah was little. When Sarah was little I read an article in a magazine about a family that would go out and by 25 brand new Christmas Story books every year. The parents would wrap up the books and place them in a basket, allowing the children to pick one book every night to unwrap and read. I adopted this for Sarah when she was just a toddler. However, I would use the same books each year instead of purchasing all new. The girls loved doing this. They were always anxious for me to get the books up and they wanted to help me wrap the books. As the girls grew older, I picked up a few longer books with a bit more of a detailed story line. Finally the girls outgrew doing this even though Kristen is only 9. (They became so busy, we were hardly ever home in the evenings and was always playing catch up.) Now the girls have an Advent wall hanging that holds 24 candy canes. Each year we fill the hanger with candy canes. The girls enjoy one candy cane every night after supper. One day they will outgrow this method also. Then it will become time to look for another way to count down, or find a way for Mom to count down.

2 comments:

Mardi said...

Kids grow up way to fast! I never could have any kids of my own, but I have tons of nieces and nephews who are like my kids. It blows me away how fast they grew up. I swear I blinked and they were all grown up!

Mardi said...

Kids grow up way to fast! I never could have any kids of my own, but I have tons of nieces and nephews who are like my kids. It blows me away how fast they grew up. I swear I blinked and they were all grown up!