Monday, May 5, 2008

National Scrapbook Day

National Scrapbook Day (weekend)
As usual, I choose to spend the weekend with my favorite scrapbook store. They actually got the party rolling on Thursday evening, if you are a NYOBC member. They shut down the store to everyone but club members and had a fun announcement, autograph time, food, free gifts and everything on sale. The big announcement for those of you who are NYOBC members is that the May book was done completely by Scrapaganza instead of having many different contributors. Finally on Friday night the party got rocking. We started at 6:00 in a rented space in one of the many strip malls in Davenport. Friday night there were many fun door prizes, some serious scrapping going on, and of course yummy food to munch on. I worked on finishing up a couple of mini books. All that need to be done was put in the pictures. I finished the Meow book, the princess pirate book, and the pop up album from Rusty Pickle. Of course the Meow book is about my 2 fur children, Kitty and Sox, the princess Pirate book is on Kristen, she is such a little princess and a tomboy all mixed up and the pop up album is for Sarah. I then started working on a swap that I am doing for a Disney group. I was able to finish the swap the next day. How lucky can I be, I won a door prize, a memory makers tag punch kit. It looks like a neat tool, will need to take some time to play with it. I left around 11:00 that night. Normally I would stay until the very end, but with Sarah getting confirmed this weekend, I wanted to get some sleep and a little work done in the morning before I came back.
The next morning, I stopped at the store on my way down to pick up some more things including some adhesive. Boy did I go through a bunch this weekend. Today was favorite things day. When we walked in, we were given a store t-shirt. Several of us switched to that shirt for the day. They had huge muffins and juice waiting for us when we arrived. Yummy. We then received a store tote bag and throughout the day we were given different items that are the favorites of the different employees. Let’s see how many I can remember, cats eye liquid chalk, a blue dauber, rub on tool, black board mini book, an new kind of adhesive, a paper pack, Rusty Pickle layout, paper pack, a 12 x 12 album, a package of white flowers, a distresser, some rub on letters, a too cute purse mini book project, a mini stamp set (hearts) and acrylic block. While there I had a couple of visitors. Friends of ours who had moved to Davenport stopped in with her daughter to see me. That was a nice diversion.
One of the things that this store has started doing during NSD is a scrap off layout contest. They put a die cut sticker underneath 10-15 random chairs. The people who are chosen then have to grab their scissors, trimmer, and adhesive. You then come up to a table where you are given a paper kit, with some coordinating papers, stickers, ribbons, and a couple of other embellishments. You are given 5 minutes to create a layout. Everyone then votes on their favorite layout and the top three layouts win a prize. Last year I was one of the lucky 10 who got to do this and surprise I took 3rd place. Somehow I managed to sit in a chair again this year that had a die cut taped to the bottom. (Next year I am checking out the chairs before I sit down.) There were so many wonderful layouts this year that I have a hard time believing that I took 1st place. I won a Heidi Swapp tool tote bag. These bags are wonder I think that next year I should receive an automatic exemption to the contest.
I was able to finish up the Disney swap items that need to be done by the end of the month, and I completed Girlfriends Tag book. I think that this book will be for Kristen. I finally left around 9;00 that night as once again, I wanted to get home and get some rest before Sarah’s big day.
Too see pictures of this event check out Scrapaganza’s blog.

14 comments:

D's Paper Studio said...

Congrats on first place. Whoo Hoo!!! I went and looked at the pictures and the slide show. Wow, what a big crop and everyone looked excited and happy. Thanks for sharing your excitement.

Debby 2852

Anonymous said...

Congrats on winning!! I would have NEVER done a LO in 5minutes!! You have an awesome LSS to put this own. connie #2909

doverdi said...

Congrats on taking first place! Sounds like an awesome place to spend NSD! I can't get over all the goodies given out.
doverdi
#1329

Peg said...

Congratulations on winning! It sounds like you had a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Peg
Fiskateer #3675

Karen Sue said...

congrats on winning first place, I hav to say I admire u, I could never do a LO in 5 minutes, 5 hours maybe...LOL

Sunshine said...

Sounds like a wonderful time. Congrats on your win! :)

Sandra said...

WOW Colleen it sounds like you had a fantastic weekend and Congrats on winning 1st place

Sandra #1076

Krysti said...

CONGRATS!! The pics look great, looks like there were sooo many of you there!! A LO in 5 minutes, i don't even think i could get my supplies out in 5 mins! #3943 Krysti

Krysti said...

I don't know where my 1st post went how sad.. Anyways CONGRATS!! I love the photos, looks like there were soo many of you there.. Doing a LO in 5 minutes, i don't even think i could get out my supplies in that time!

Krysti #3943

Missy said...

Congrats on the first place!
The crop I attended was wonderful also, we had a fabulous time!
Hopefully we can meet to scrap together sometime soon.

jo-ann said...

from jo-ann #3830

wow, your crop was so awesome!! i went to a small crop with 8 people all together and it was fun! i did a layout in 15 minutes but 5 seems awesome!

Lisa said...

That's Great!!!! sounds like you have a good time too.

Julie Overby said...

Congrats on the win!! FIVE minutes!!! That's all you had? Wowzers. I'm glad you had a good time :)

MichelleO said...

WHOO HOOO on the first place, you need to post it so we can see!!! Sounds like a FABULOUS event, wish I had been there!